Thursday, July 16, 2015

Older and newer generations

Today i'm going to talk about something that's been bothering me a lot lately. This subject likes to creep up on you at the most unlikely, unrelated times, and it's getting on my nerves.
 Communication, between the old generations, and the now generations.
I'm not one for talking, that's why I write everything down, but when I do talk, I get deep. And I've found that older people are...how do I put it? Surprised, when they see that I have something to say. Of course I don't speak out of line or anything, but when i'm asked, I have no problem with answering them.
A lot of younger people do.

I feel like the younger generations don't talk enough with the older people in their lives. We are the future, but they were the future once too, and they deserve to know what will happen when they're gone forever.

I'm not only blaming us kids though, I also feel that the adults don't ask enough questions. They don't believe that there are teenagers out there who care more about their futures than hooking up and doing drugs. And they have that stereotyped way of thinking towards us. They think we're all delinquents.

Of course there are always exceptions, I know some amazing older people, who, frankly, sometimes i'd rather talk with than the people I know who are my age. And the people I hang out with, aren't apart of that stereotypical teenager rebellion thing.


 When I was younger, I was taught to respect my elders. I learned how to listen too, because most of the family members I'm close to are much, much older than me. Okay, so, yeah, respect you elders. That's good. We were all taught that, at least we were if we have good parents. I'v always believed that this is something that should be kept for as long as possible, we should all respect those who have gone through this mess of a world and managed to stay sane for so much longer than we have.
 But!
 And but! I repeat.
  Yes, elders deserve to be respected, but their views, the way they see the world and the things they think and say are not always correct. Growing old does not mean that you gain intelligence, it means you grow wisdom. It means that you've made more mistakes than those who are younger than you, because you've had more time to make them. It does not, however, always mean that you've learned from your mistakes.
For instance.
What would the world be like if we followed the way they world used to be centuries, or even just decades ago?
There'd still be slavery, discrimination against blacks, women, gays, Jews, Atheists and pretty much anyone who is different.
We would never want to go back that would we? No! And this is the perfect example as to why old fashioned ways of thinking are NOT always the best ways of thinking.

Keeping that in mind, still, older people aren't stupid. There are some things that should be universal, and timeless.

Love.
Peace.
Joy.
Self respect.
Respect for others.
Acceptance.
Sympathy.
Care.
Willingness to help.
Common sense.
Ability to feel emotion.

Things like this. But, some things can change. Some things can get better. And what I think everyone needs to understand, all races and ages and Nationalities, you don't always lose something when things evolve.
 No two people believe in the exact same thing. Someone, somewhere, is going to make sure that that way of thinking stays in the world until the end. Things get better, they don't turn into their opposites. That's when you know there's a bigger problem than change involved.

I've found, when I have enough courage to talk with someone who's older than me about this that they always seem to give off the same vibe. That they are scared for the future. That they are scared that us, the now generation will somehow blowjob and snort all the way to extinction. Okay. That's extreme.
  But, a less intense, version of that.
I mean, look at the world. Look at what it is, i'm more than three times younger than them, and i'm scared for the world. War, how we treat each other, ourselves, and even how we treat the Earth. Pollution, animals going extinct every day, cutting down entire rain forests. The world is far from perfect. And people have reasons to worry, it's just, there are kids like me who are sitting at a laptop, or have a tablet held between their hands at this very moment, how are talking about these sorts of subjects. Using something that's seen as negative to a lot of people, the Internet, to spread a good message. And, there are kids who are really out there, making a difference by using action, and words.

 Us, as a people, especially us younger ones, need to understand the problems our world has. Because there are a lot. I see young people every day doing extraordinary things, but I guess there's not enough for us, because i'm writing this post about how there's miscommunication between generations.
  Us younger people who have brains, and older people too, we need to stop being afraid to talk to older and younger people, tell them our ideas.
Show them that the future isn't something we should have to be worried about.



No comments:

Post a Comment